Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Prison and Space!

     Yesterday we went to Jack-in-the-Box for breakfast. There aren't any of those in New Hampshire, to my knowledge, so it was nice to be in a new restaurant even if it was fast food. I ended up getting a pretty decent bacon, egg, and cheese on a croissant with a hash brown with some yummy orange juice!
     After we fueled up our stomachs, we headed off to the Huntsville jail in Houston. It was pouring outside the epitome of the phrase, 'raining cats and dogs.' Thankfully, our amazing bus driver James was able to handle whatever Mother Nature threw at us!
     The Huntsville jail was a really beautiful building architecturally. It was all old brick and the rain added this sort of bleak dreariness that almost represented the regret and sorrow inside the building. We ended up getting a tour from the warden himself and there was far more history to this prison than I expected there to be. There is one old tier that is said to be haunted that no one goes down anymore, and we learned about a hostage situation in which a couple inmates years ago took a couple officers and teachers as their hostages. We were also given a fairly vivid history about the prisons death row and how it has changed over the years. I thought it was pretty brutal but I understand we just have different cultures in which some things are considered a travesty whereas to someone else it's second nature. Overall, I loved the jail tour. It was super educational and something I was definitely interested in. 
   We then went to NASA's Space Center which was pretty exciting. I was mostly excited to see Jodi at the center, since she's been talking about going since the semester started. Being at the center made me feel like a child again, and it was nice to just let go and have fun. I ended up playing a game trying to save a satellite, learned what it was like to love in a space ship, made different sound waves, and a bunch of other things. I also bought some neopolitain space ice cream which was delicious. :) 
     For dinner we went to this Mexican restaurant where John Travolta once ate. I had a plate of nachos because I didn't want to eat anything too heavy. Saying that sounds funny to me, because a plate of nachos is pretty heavy, but I honestly didn't have much choice- after all, everything is bigger in Texas!! 


     I can't wait for what Thursday brings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment